December 31, 2009

A Visit to Bedient Pipe Organ

On Tuesday I had the opportunity to meet with Gene Bedient at his shop for a quick tour.  I got to see everything from the drafting and design room to the woodworking shop to the pipe shop, to the finishing room.  I had never toured an organ builder's shop before.  The most impressive thing is that organ builders use basic everyday tools to make some pretty impressive instruments.  The whole process is pure skill and craft.  I posted a link to their website in the "Related Links" column to the right.

I will be having Gene and his crew repair a few of my pipes when I get farther along.  I will also be ordering organ wire, connectors, etc through Gene.  I am very grateful and excited to have a local builder on my side.  Thanks Gene!

No comments:

Post a Comment