February 9, 2010

Oboe in a Box

Inspired by the "Vox-in-a-box" idea, I have decided to enclose my only reed, a rather generic but potent Oboe.

I took the time today to sketch out my plan for the enclosure. Links to the PDF's can be found at the end of this post.  Please pardon the graphics; these quick sketchs are mostly to get the ideas down on paper and have a way to run this past people. They are to scale, 1"=1'. I already purchased a set of shades, mounted in a frame roughly 4' x 4-1/2'. Therefore, I didn't draw any of the actual blades in place- just the frame. There are 9 individual blades total. I will of course add a lot of reinforcement and support pieces that I didn't take time to draw in. The approximate overall dimensions of the chamber are 4.5' wide, 2' deep, and 6' high. The box is as big as possible, but I know it is still cramped. I also realize that I am taking the rank that will need the most frequent tuning and making it the least accessible. I will make the rear panel and shutters removable for access (note the wing nuts). The ceiling of the box would be ~7" above the longest pipe. I figured it would be better to make the trebles speak up and out rather than cram the top of the bass pipes. I plan to put "crown moulding" inside to help reflect sound out of the corners. The walls will be made of 3/4" plywood. The console will be in front of the enclosure and the shades moved via a mechanical linkage to the swell shoe.

Feel free to comment on the design and any possible problems I may encounter.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment