December 13, 2011

Solar Power!

My keys are covered in a plastic called Ivorine.  It is a synthetic ivory substitute invented in the 1930's.  Over time, they have become quite yellow.  Old plastic tends to do that.  I know that real ivory can be bleached by sunlight, but I didn't know what would work on plastic.  I got some advice and things to try, so I experimented on the front face of each key where it wouldn't be visible.  I used mild detergents, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, mild acids, and more.  Absolutely nothing had any effect.  I was seriously considering recovering the keys with new plastic tops when someone suggested I try putting them in the sun for a while.  What could it hurt?  I took them to work and put them in the rafters of one of the greenhouses.  I could leave them there rain or shine and they were out of the way.  I did one manual at a time so I would have something to compare them to.  It took several weeks to notice a difference.  As you can see in the photo, the improvement is striking.  I put the other manual up there too and after several more weeks they match pretty well.  I am also bleaching the stop tabs in the same manner, but they are taking considerably longer.  They were even more yellowed than the keys, and the plastic is much thicker.  I assume the discoloration is deeper on those.  But, I am optimistic that they will get there too!

Editorial Note:  I recognize that I am a self proclaimed techni-klutz.  Either Blogger/Picasa made it much easier to link to photos and albums, or I had been doing it the hard way and just stumbled on to the right way to do it.  Either way, from now on the photos in the text will just be individual photos and I will include a link to an album of additional photos at the bottom of each post.  Let me know if something isn't working.
Key Bleaching Album

No comments:

Post a Comment