December 1, 2014

Prinzipal Racking


The new Prinzipal rank I bought is a bit smaller scale (diameter) than the Diapason originally planted on my main chest.  The holes in the rack board were quite a bit too large.  Plus, the original rack board had been damaged and would have needed to be replaced any way.  Since this rack is front and center, I wanted it to look especially nice.

Using the original as a guide, I marked all the holes on a piece of new 1/2" thick poplar.  I found that Forstner drill bits made good centering guides.  If I didn't have a drill bit close enough to the original hole, I did my best to eyeball it.  I also marked the holes for the rack pins this way.

After marking the holes, I used my racking jig and a calipers to measure each pipe.  I added a little bit to each diameter because it was difficult to get the rack perfectly centered over the toe holes.  I figured it would be easier to drill big holes and then make each pipe perfectly plumb by felting the holes as needed.  I wrote the hole size needed on the blue tape on the rack board so I would be sure to drill the right size hole.  I then drilled the appropriate size holes.  As planned, many holes were too large and I wanted these pipes to be perfectly plumb (being the facade, so to speak) so I added felt as needed to make them stand perfectly upright.

Finally, I added a strip of oak trim to the front edge of the rack board to dress it up and match the finish of the console and swell box.

Prinzipal Racking Album

No comments:

Post a Comment