May 23, 2012

New "Knee Panel"

One of the peculiar things about my installation is that all the bass pipes will speak from the back wall, projecting their sound under the main windchests.  The bottom octave of the 16' Bourdon will speak through the console as well.  Originally, there was a wood panel between the key desk and the pedals.  For lack of a better term I am calling this the "knee panel" because is in front of your knees when seated and playing.  The oak veneer on the original panel was damaged and I wanted to open it up for the sound to get through.  Using some oak that matched the grain of the console, I made a frame and assembled it with my pocket hole jig (I love that thing!).  The tricky part was making the arched opening to go over the swell shoes.  After it was built, I applied an analine dye followed by several coats of varnish just like I did with the console and it matches pretty well.  The inside of the frame has a rabbet cut into it so I could mount a panel of fabric.  I used an acoustically invisible polyester fabric (a.k.a. 'speaker cloth') so it would block as little sound as possible. 

See a few more pictures in the album below:

No comments:

Post a Comment