May 23, 2012

New Stop-Tab Rail Wiring

The time line for this topic is a little off for a number of reasons.  Primarily because this has been completed in such a long series of baby-steps there wasn't any point when I said, "That's done" and moved on.  In fact, I recently installed a new-to-me gang switch (that get's it's own post) and I still need to wire in the chimes (which is its own ball of wax since it is an independent 24v electrical system).

This console was originally designed to play 5 unit ranks.  I have convinced it to play 6 unit ranks with a greatly expanded stop list in the pedal.  I already posted about the new-to-me pedal switching system a while back, and I also posted about the new stop-tab rail to accommodate the expanded stop list.  Now I have finished building and wiring the stop switches.  I began with the wood portions on which the wiring and contacts are mounted.  The original components worked fine so I used them as a prototype and made all-new replica parts, only bigger to accommodate the added stops.  These pieces were finished with shellac before wiring.  Then I mounted the stop tab hardware.

There is a standard wiring code used with the color-coded wire in a chest, making it easy to get the correct wire soldered onto the correct pin.  I don't think there is a standard code specifically for wiring stop switches.  I devised my own based on the chest wiring code and wrote it down so it will be easier to trace problems if they arise in the future.  I ran wires from each stop to its corresponding magnet in the relay.  I also had to run another wire from the register crescendo through the stop, and on to the magnet.  This took a little figuring to make sure the electrical current was going in the correct direction and getting to where it needed to go.  I also needed to decide in which order the register crescendo would engage the stops.  That was a total shot in the dark because I don't have things set up that I could test different options.  I started with what I expect to be the softer 8' stops, adding mezzo 8', then soft 4', louder 8', louder 4', finally reeds and 16' stops.  I hope it will be acceptable.  But then, I don't anticipate using the register crescendo all that much, since it is only a practice organ.

Most of the wiring is now done.  The stop tabs themselves will soon be sent off for re-engraving, then I will be able to install them and have the stop system done!

See all photos here:
Stop-Tab Wiring Album

No comments:

Post a Comment