December 18, 2013

Engraving

(Sorry for the belated post as I get caught up.  This should have gone up in April.)

My console was originally designed to play five ranks (Diapason, Stopped Flute, Salicional, Dulciana, & Oboe).  I have expanded it to seven, adding an independent mutation and a celeste, and swapping out the Dulciana for a Chimney Flute.  These changes meant that I needed to have my stop tabs re-engraved.  I debated for quite some time how to name the unified stops.  On one hand, I could simply call them what they are (Gedeckt 8', Gedeckt 4', Gedeckt 2', etc.) which is honest, but boring.  Or, I could be more creative and choose names that hint at the parent rank, but look more like what one might find on a straight organ (Bordun 8', Stopped Flute 4', Piccolo 2', etc.)  Although the former is easier for a guest to register, I am the one who will be playing it 99% of the time.  I opted to be a bit more creative and go with the latter option.  Considering my love of Bach, Buxtehude, Reger, etc. I gave the stops a decidedly German accent.  For example, the Stopped Flute is now:  Untersatz 16', Holzbordun 8', Gedeckt 4', and Bauernflote 2'.  I will try to add a complete stop list sometime, probably as a pdf, but I don't have that ready at the moment.  Also, the console did not have any nameplates identifying the divisions, swell shoes, etc.  Apparently they were kept by a previous owner because they were in better condition than the ones he had on another console.  I needed to replace these name plates and have the stop tabs planed off, buffed, and re-engraved with the new names.  I also wanted to have a builder's name plate engraved, since the organ isn't really enough of any one builder to call it his own.  After all, I am building a brand-new instrument from used parts, right?

I contacted Hesco, Inc. in Maryland and they were able to do all I wanted.  They specialize in engraving parts for organs, especially WurliTzer theatre organs.  I chose a font that was designed in the late 1930's, which is about the time when both my console and my house were built.  I sent the freshly-bleached stop tabs out for them to re-engrave.  They provided new name plates.  I was thrilled when they arrived back to me!  I got them all installed the next weekend.  Now the console is pretty much done, except for hardwiring the electrical, but I can't do that until it is in the living room.  I will also get a close-up photo up here as a 'sneak peek', but the console looks so finished now, I want to save it for the final installation photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment