December 10, 2013

Summer Projects

Yes, I know it's December and I am just now updating this blog with summer events.  I'm sorry about that.  It's been busy.

Anyway, I mentioned the new furnace that went in last winter.  During that project, I discovered some termite damage to the house near the front door.  Nothing structural or severe, and the damage may have occurred years ago and the termites are now long gone, but the damage needed to be repaired none the less.  The repairs meant removing the old concrete front stoop, replacing the rotten boards behind it, and repouring the stoop.  I also had the house treated for termites just in case.  I did all the demo and repair work myself and a buddy helped form and pour the new concrete.  It is much bigger now, and there is actually room to stand on the porch and open the door without backing down a step.  I will be dressing it up with Pennsylvania Bluestone on the top and brick veneer around the sides so it all looks original, but the weather got cold before I could get that done.  I will also be installing a paver sidewalk connecting the driveway to the stoop.

A slightly more organ-related project was the installation of wood blinds in the living room.  I have never had any coverings on the windows and I really don't want to be on display as I practice every day.  Plus, I don't want the sun beating through the windows flanking the fireplace for fear that the heat would throw the pipes out of tune.  I feel silly installing fancy blinds only to cover them up with pipes, but that's the way it goes.

I also have new basement windows on order.  One of them will be in the blower room and I want to get a more energy efficient window in that location so the air temperature in the blower room will be more stable.  Those probably won't be installed until spring, unless we get a really nice day in the next few weeks.

I also refurbished the organ chimes this summer and will be updating with that soon.

I am now in the process of restoring the wooden stopped flute pipes and I will update with that info after it is completed, hopefully before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment